One law student's quest to beat the exam without bar review.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Checking in

I haven't been posting here as much as I thought I would. Really, it seems like the struggle to study is just the same complaints over and over again: I'm tired from working, stressed from searching for a job, the material is copious and sometimes hard to get through, the temptation to avoid studying and in particular to avoid essay questions is hard to overcome...etc. etc.

I finished property this past week, and started on criminal law. Property was, if you'll pardon the expression, a bitch and a half. I think I'll probably have to revisit it...I didn't do as much practice as I intended, and I just felt so overwhelmed by the material that it made it even harder to focus. Criminal is much simpler and I remember more of it, so it's somewhat easier. I've done some MBE today; the plan is that later on I'll review my outline again and do a bunch of essays. Then I'll start on criminal procedure, either this evening or tomorrow. (More likely tomorrow.)

I seem to be consistently scoring 9-11 out of 17 on the MBE practice questions, which is around 50-65%. So I'm satisfied with that. It's harder to quantify my performance on the essays though. Not to mention the fact that it's soooo tempting to just...not do essays. Which is a bad, bad idea considering how important essay performance is to my overall score on the bar. I need to practice and I can't leave it all for the couple weeks leading up to the bar.

The main problem with this independent-study thing is that, while it's fairly easy to stay motivated and on task for the first couple weeks, it's a long-haul project and it's hard to stay motivated on an endurance studying campaign. Even when you religiously stick to your study plan, your immediate reward is: you get to do it again the next day. Only the thought of the bar looming closer by the day provides me with any focus at all.

Now I'm starting to wonder when I'm going to get my seat assignment. I got my petition in on time, they confirmed receipt over the phone, and they cashed my check. So...I wait. Story of my life this summer. ;)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll get your seat assignment about 2 weeks before the test, if I remember correctly.

Hang in there, and practice those essays! You can do it! :-)

1:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home